Mechanics Institute News


The Mechanics Institute was built in about 1822 by Viscount Milton (later Earl Fitzwilliam) as a place of learning for his estate workers. Although the former library in the building has now been removed, the Mechanics Institute remains the focal point of community activities in the village and is still supported financially by the Fitwilliam family trust. It is managed on behalf of the Wentworth Village Community Association by a management committee elected annually by villagers.

The building today is used for a wide variety of activities including coffee mornings, craft fairs, dancing classes, the Youth Theatre, Playgroup, Womens Institute meetings and a regular doctor’s surgery. The building is available for hire for all kinds of community events, commercial uses and private parties.

New Cafe Style Seating

As part of the ongoing improvements to the Mechanics the old lounge chairs have been replaced with new “café-style” chairs and tables. These complement the adjacent kitchen facilities and have proven especially popular with users who serve food and drink as part of their events.

Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.